You Deserve A Commissioner Who Truly Represents Larimer County
A Resume That Gets Results
Hello, my name is Karen Stockley, and I thank you for stopping by my website. I am running to represent you as your County Commissioner for Larimer County, District 3. I love Colorado, and I truly care what happens to the people of Larimer County. I want to be your ears and your voice, and I want to be a true representative for all of the people who reside in this wonderful place.
I have lived in Colorado for 53 years, it is the only home I’ve ever really known.
I was born in Hanover New Hampshire to two amazing parents who survived the Great Depression and showed me so much about family values. My father taught ROTC at Dartmouth College and my mother was a registered nurse. We were a military family. We moved to a military base outside of Paris, France when I was very young. Later we moved to Washington DC where my father worked in government until transferring to Colorado when I was 4 years old. I grew up along the Front Range, and went to college in Gunnison.
For the last 20 plus years, my husband and I and our children have lived on a small acreage west of Berthoud. We have dogs, cats, horses, and a Pygmy goat. We moved to the country to embrace the rural lifestyle, as have many of our neighbors. I love having my horses in my backyard, growing grapes, and having my large organic garden every summer. We feel very fortunate to live here and we have worked hard to stay in this beautiful area. I feel it is truly time to give back to the community that has given our family so much opportunity.
Growing up in Colorado, I was very fortunate to have a father who was an adventurer. Every single weekend, my father took us on “adventures” in Colorado. We skied all across the state, before Eisenhower Tunnel was even built! We routinely went on trips searching for ghost towns, and spent tons of time hiking and fishing. My father taught me to value our mountains and natural world, and he passed his love of nature on to me.
As a very young child, I was extremely shy and bullied in school. I befriended a black girl in second grade, the first black child to attend our elementary school. We were friends and stayed together. From that experience, I learned that there is no place in the world for hatred or prejudice against any living being, and I learned to never tolerate hatred against anyone who is different due to their color, sexual orientation, or religion. To this day these values have a special place in my heart, and I will fight to the end to protect anyone who is persecuted in such a manner.
I went to college in Gunnison and came back to the front range, where I married my husband Jay almost 27 years ago. I have many hobbies, but my favorite thing to do is spend time with my husband and five children! We love to cook elaborate meals and hang out and watch movies. My two favorite things besides spending time with my family, are spending time with my animals and spending time in my large garden. I purchased my amazing horse “Diamonte” three years ago, he is an Andalusian and I love this horse so much, he is just amazing! He is highly trained in dressage, and teaching me to ride in that discipline. I am excited every summer to get outside, muck manure and play in the soil.
I worked as a paralegal for years prior to marrying Jay. I worked in insurance defense, and in securities law. This experience has afforded me a great understanding of our legal system and legal jargon in general. I also understand that our judicial system is often unfair and needs serious reform.
I stayed home with my young children for 14 years, trying to give them each a great start. When my youngest daughter started school all day, the antique mall where I was a dealer (Front Range Antiques) was for sale. While it was the last career I was contemplating going in to, I knew within an hour it was what I wanted to do! While I love my business and the people I encounter, I have always wanted to help folks who are in need. Behind the counter at my store, I have heard many stories of government failing folks in our communities. I believe we can do better, and this is why I am running for County Commissioner, to improve the lives of everyone who lives in Larimer County!
My husband Jay has a Masters and PhD in Electro-Optical Engineering. He has worked for a small business in Lafayette since graduation from college, and works in laser-beam technology and liquid crystals for medical research and military research.
Jay is also a 23 years Navy Reservist, currently serving as a Commander in the Navy Reserves. He very much enjoys his service to our country and spends many hours on ships and in Washington DC. Jay routinely spends well over the amount of time required as a Reservist, as he believes his service is critical to ensure the safety of our heroes who are serving our country.
All five of our children are young adults now
My oldest son Jason has worked in law enforcement as a Deputy Sherriff in El Paso County and Otero County. After taking a hiatus from law enforcement, he is contemplating returning to this noble profession.
My younger son Seth has worked for me as my Assistant Manager of Front Range Antique Mall for a number of years now. He would like to continue running our family business when I am elected in November.
My oldest daughter Rhiannon is currently an EMT at Thompson Valley EMS. She has been studying prerequisites for nursing school, and hopes to apply in just a few months. She wants to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother.
My middle daughter Annelise is a brilliant artist who also works as a Certified Nursing Assistant in Longmont. She is dedicated to the care of the elderly, and works on her art in her free time, hoping to someday make that her primary occupation.
My youngest daughter Fallon is in her second year of community college and will transfer to CSU in the fall. She intends to apply to the Veterinary School and hopes to work in animal rehabilitation after she completes school.
- Owner and Founder, Karen’s Fine Antiques for 18 Years
- Currently owner of Front Range Antique Mall, Fort Collins for 14 ½ years
- Employer of 7 employees at Front Range Antiques
- Oversee and manage sales for 35 antique dealers
- Strong work-ethic, ability to adapt to changing business environments.
LONG TIME VOLUNTEER WORK, LEADER ON BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
- Elected to a 4 years term as Treasurer for Thompson Board of Education. Budget Specialist of a $100 million dollar budget.
- During tenure on the school board I was the liaison for the Coalition for Education. We studied every bill going through the Legislature (Senate and House) with our Lobbyist and weighed in if they were positive or negative for students.
- I also testified repeatedly on education issues at our Capitol and fought for more funding for our students.
- Worked with our Superintendent to support DACA students at the Capitol.
- Member of the Thompson District Master Plan Committee as the School Board Liaison.
- Did Historic Presentations for the third graders at Berthoud Elementary School.
- Appointed to Berthoud’s Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Worked on 2 Berthoud Master Plans/Land Use Plans. Studied the Best Practices for Land Use for Communities. Thorough understanding of all facets of growth; traffic, school impacts, transportation impacts, infrastructure impacts and fiscal impacts, etc.
- Spent 10 years regularly attending Berthoud Town Board Meetings and Planning and Zoning Meetings.
- Spokesperson and Member of Citizens for Berthoud, a group instrumental in Berthoud’s Growth Cap
- Fort Collins Citizen Planner 2001-2003
- Fought the McWhinney's, developers who wanted an Urban Renewal Authority at I-25 and Hwy 56. Fought against Urban Renewal abuses in general, and opposed Metro Districts in Northern Colorado.
- Current member Larimer County Rural Lands Board. Working to save our farms and ranches from large developments and finding ways to preserve majority of lands for open space.
- Twenty years member of the Sierra Club Poudre Canyon Group
- Served many years on the Executive Committee
- Served years on the Conservation Committee
- Served on the Water Issues Committee
- Opposed and testified on two large water diversion projects; Northern Integrated Supply Project (NISP) and Chimney Hollow.
- Worked for better recycling practices in Larimer County.
- Fought for years to preserve a substantial 52 nest Heron Rookery at Lonetree Reservoir.
- Worked with Rockridge Preservation Society to fight Serenade Park. This was an enormous amphitheater proposed for Hwy 34 across from Sylvandale Guest Ranch. The project was an environmental disaster, allowing for horse paths over wetlands, the drowning of Prairie Dogs which were the primary food source for nesting Golden Eagles on the north end, and a traffic nightmare. We stopped the proposal.
- Fought for large buffers for Bald Eagles west of Berthoud which were threatened by impending development
- Volunteer and Museum Tour guide for the Berthoud Museum 2005-2008
- Donor and Assistant in Creating the Women’s Victorian Clothing Exhibit at the Museum
- Cataloged large Fickle Victorian/Edwardian Clothing Donation for the Fickle – McCarty Museum
- Docent for 3rd Grade Museum Tours Numerous Years
- Wellstone Academy, Montana in 2010
- Larimer County 101
- Larimer County Jail Sales Tax Committee 2012-2013
- Transportation issues, including looking at commuter rail, and funding our failing roads and bridges
- Focus on taking care of our small businesses, the backbone of our economy
- Providing better services for our Veterans
- Protecting our natural resources, including our precious water and lands
- Finding ways to implement SB181 and protecting citizens health from declining air quality
- Balancing rapid growth with affordable housing and protecting our rural neighborhoods
- Conserving our Farms and Ranches so we can grow our food locally
I am a strong-willed leader, who will listen to ALL of your voices in Larimer County. It is time for change that matches our shared vision for Larimer County's future. We need new voices and a person who will stand up to special interests. I believe I am the person who can best lead Larimer County into a prosperous future.
Looking at the growing number of issues facing our communities, we can't afford to sit on the sidelines this time.
Please consider donating whatever you can to help us get results for Larimer County.
Please consider donating whatever you can to help us get results for Larimer County.